Effective communication is what helps everyone understand better a situation, build connections, resolve differences and build trust within a company or with other business partners. That is why communication is a basic element for any business or company.
The most important communication skills one should have in order to have a successful company are the following:
- Listening. In order to be a good communicator, first you should know how to listen. A good listener should make the speaker feel understood and important, to build a strong connection from the start. The environment is also very important. Discussion should always take place in a friendly environment, so that everyone feels safe to share opinions and ideas. Try to avoid interruptions and show your interest for everyone who takes part in the discussion.
- Nonverbal communication. Body language is a very important aspect in the process of sending the right message. When using body language, always keep in mind that there are cultural differences or age differences that you should be aware of. Body language should be used mainly to convey positive feelings. Try to avoid associating gestures with negative feeling because you will only emphasize them.
- Avoid stress. Speaking in front of other people might be stressful, but there are ways to make yourself calmer and prepared for everything. Be willing to compromise, or be prepared to disagree with some and don’t forget to see the positive aspects all the time. You should also have a strong sense of humor for those times when you make a blunder by accident.
- Be aware of your emotions. Being emphatic with others and knowing how to manage your own emotions is a skill that you can learn if you give yourself enough time and patience.
Now that you know what communication skills you should have, let’s go through the basic steps of any successful discussion.
- Ask the right questions. Make the best out of your time and learn all the information you need: background of a company, project or person, goals and timeline.
- Communicate professionally even in your online presence. Use a signature in which you incorporate all your contact details and make sure you write your e-mails in a formal manner, whenever it is the case.
- Carefully schedule all your business meetings and be prepared for them. Do your research and make sure you know everything there is to know about the discussed topics. This will also make you confident and you avoid feeling insecure.
- Don’t forget to do a follow up on every discussion, just to make sure you and your partners are on the same page with everything that was said in a meeting.
- Ask for feedback. If you feel your discussion partners didn’t fully understand something or you just want to make sure you’ve got everything covered, don’t wait for questions and ask if there is something that need clarifying.
- Don’t be afraid to address problems or any issues that you might have. It’s better to clear the air from the start and avoid unnecessary back and forth messages.
- Be diplomatic in handling conflicts. They can escalate very quickly if you don’t manage them well. Keep an open mind and don’t rush in judging others because of their opinions.
- Learn how to trust people. An open discussion is supposed to give you reassurance and guaranty you can delegate others to do certain tasks or to start projects with new collaborators.
Lastly, face to face communication is the key, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make good use out of technology. E-mails and programs that help your employees communicate better, especially in the case of large companies shouldn’t be disregarded. Lantech-Soft provides you with some of the best tools to communicate efficiently with the help of our software: VENDOM, WorkForce Schedule and ExTreM.