One of the most important components when it comes to increase productivity in a company and make the workflow more efficient is time management. The basic definition of time management is being able to spend the right amount of time completing the right tasks. Especially in large companies and corporations, time management becomes a real problem. Therefore, time management strategies and software created to deal with this issue are a must.
We put together a list of things you should consider when creating a solid time management strategy:
- Planning. The first step not only in time management, but in everything else you want to do is to plan ahead. Prioritize your projects, assign the tasks to your most capable employees and make sure you don’t start another project until you haven’t finished a previous one.
- Goals. The best way to motivate yourself is to set goals. You can take baby steps if you like, by setting minor goals that should be achieved once you complete a stage of your project.
- Deadlines. Deadlines can be stressful sometimes, but they are the best option that enables you to make sure you will get things done on time. One of the most common used tricks is to set a deadline at a certain period of time ahead. For instance, if you set a deadline with your client 3 months from now, mark your personal deadline 2 weeks earlier. That way, you will be able to correct some errors that might occur or deal with unexpected issues before the “real” deadline.
- Delegate. Ambitious individuals often find it hard to delegate tasks to other colleagues, because they feel they could do the best possible job. Learn to trust others and their abilities and don’t be afraid to delegate tasks. Otherwise, you’ll be overwhelmed and unable to finish everything on time.
- Estimate. Try to estimate the right amount of time for each task and keep a daily schedule. You shouldn’t waste half of your day responding to e-mails when you could this in a couple of hours. The key is to stay focused.
If you follow all these steps, you should have an efficient time management strategy and you’ll be able to see the benefits on a professional and personal level. The main benefits of good time management are not to be neglected.
- Work discipline is one of the abilities you acquire by learning how to manage your time. This will increase your efficiency greatly.
- You will learn how to be more organized and how to prioritize your daily tasks.
- It’s much easier to reach you stated goals if you follow a time line in which you are able to complete tasks and projects.
- Time management helps you avoid stressful situations and become more successful in your activity.
Tips and tricks to help you manage your daily schedule:
- Reward yourself if you manage to finish a task on time. It can be simplest thing, such as a treat or a lunch rich in calories.
- Include your breaks into your schedule. Breaks are necessary to relax and have a clear head, so take them into consideration.
- Have a positive attitude towards the company you work for. It’s unprofessional to use company time for your personal use. If it’s nothing urgent, than you shouldn’t spend your time on the phone or chatting on the Internet.
- Keep your work space clean and organized, so you won’t have to waste time searching for things.
- Don’t take tasks you know you won’t have the time for. It’s important to prove how skilled you are, but don’t take supplementary work just for the sake of it. Sometimes, it’s better to say no.
As stated at the beginning of the article, time management strategies are truly efficient when they are complemented by a reliable software, to help you plan the time spent by each employee on a certain task or project, such as ExTreM TimeSheet. After all, it’s easier to coordinate and to manage everything simply through a software that is easy to use and easy to integrate.
Photo source: guardianlv.com